DVLA 0870 280 0410

Call the DVLA phone number to get connected to DVLA customer services for anything related to your vehicle from V5 documents to new driving licenses. The DVLA contact number is operational between 8am to 7pm Monday-Friday and from 8am to 2pm on Saturdays.

DVLA Contact Number
0870 280 0410

Calls cost 13p per minute plus your phone companies access charge.

key car

Anyone wishing to drive in the UK must first register with the DVLA, the Driver Vehicle Licensing Authority. The DVLA is a government agency which is charged with the generation and maintenance of a database intended to keep track of the use of all vehicles and drivers on the roadways of the UK. Those who have questions or need to make reports with the agency should call the DVLA contact number shown here.

Information Collected by DVLA

The DVLA has many responsibilities that affect your driving privileges, from the time you first test for a provisional driving licence to the renewal of a permanent licence throughout your life. Disabled drivers can obtain a blue badge that permits them to park close to their destination. This badge is available upon request and requires the approval of a deciding council. The DVLA also works with law enforcement when necessary to identify stolen vehicles.

The information stored in the agency database is utilized to assist in a number of government initiatives for the public safety on the roadways, including ensuring that all drivers follow the correct safety regulations and pay road use taxes. The information in this database is also used to reduce crime as a whole and establish green initiatives for the reduction of ozone gases on the roadways. The head office of the DVLA is currently in Swansea, Wales, with affiliates in many other locations.

How to Contact DVLA

Questions related to public use of the roadways can be most efficiently directed to a DVLA customer service agent at the phone number listed here. Agents are trained to assist with information on many topics related to the public use of the roadways. Some of these include obtaining a driving licence, replacement of a lost or stolen licence, changing the information on a driving licence, obtaining vehicle plates, paying road taxes, and changing the driving licence information for another individual.

Many tasks can be completed quickly by using the DVLA contact automated service. Use the automated method to easily do the following:

  • Make an appointment for a driving test
  • Replace your drivers licence
  • Report a new vehicle and order a log book
  • Let the DVLA know you are taking your vehicle off the road
  • Report to DVLA if your vehicle is no longer drivable

You can also refer to the official DVLA website for more information. Their website includes an email address and mailing addresses for specific tasks.

Many questions and issues can be resolved simply by calling the DVLA phone number and connecting to the automated line. This service is available 24 hours a day to answer common questions posed by individuals about DVLA procedures and requirements. Any questions not sufficiently answered by the automated service can be directed to customer service agents during normal business hours, 8 a.m. To 6 p.m., Monday through Friday.

How to Register with the DVLA

When a vehicle is first purchased, it must be properly registered with the DVLA. No vehicle can be driven that has not been registered, and registration should occur immediately upon purchase. This is true regardless of whether the vehicle is purchased locally or out of the country. Inspection of your vehicle may be required prior to registration. If you plan to build a new vehicle or rebuild an existing one, you will also need to register it. Contact DVLA for the specific requirements of your locality.

You should also call the DVLA helpline if there is any question about the true ownership of your vehicle, or if you have questions about the correct forms to fill out for registration. It is better to find out this information correctly beforehand, because if you mistakenly fill out the wrong forms a delay could occur in the processing of your registration. The error on your part could take between four and eight weeks for DVLA to correct. The wasted time in processing your application could also mean that you will have to pay additional fees. The DVLA is eager to assist in such situations to avoid this outcome.

How to Apply for a Driving Licence

Whether you plan to drive a vehicle or motorbike, you will need to obtain a provisional licence first. This is legally required before learning how to drive. Once a provisional licence has been acquired, you can legally drive in the vehicle as long as there is a lawfully licensed driver accompanying you while you are learning. To drive a motorbike of up to 125cc with an L plate, you will need to complete a compulsory basic training (CBT) course. Contact DVLA for more information.

Once you obtain your provisional licence and have learned how to drive, you can take the tests to obtain a standard driving licence. You will be required to pass both a theory test and a road test. Call the DVLA phone number to set up a time for the tests. You will be required to pay a testing fee. If for any reason you cannot make your testing appointment, you should call the DVLA to let them know so that you can get a refund of your fee. Renewal of your licence is required every 10 years, and there is a small renewal fee that must be paid upon renewal.

If you develop a medical condition, you will need to contact DVLA and let them know. At that time your condition will be evaluated as to whether you can be allowed to continue to drive. If your driving privileges are removed temporarily, you can reapply once your medical condition has resolved itself. In some cases, DVLA will send you a letter informing you that you need to wait a specific period of time before doing so. You will need to submit a D1 application form with the approval of your medical doctor in order to reapply for a car or motorcycle licence.

How to Order Personalised Number Plates

Personalised number plates are available to all drivers in the UK, with the custom-ordered numbers and letters desired. These are available at an additional fee, and a certificate of entitlement must be acquired. It should be noted that all attempts will be made to fill the order as requested, but there are some restrictions that must be adhered to. Copies of personalised plates ordered by someone else will not be accepted. To avoid confusion, DVLA contact is first recommended before ordering to ensure that the plate you desire has not already been ordered by someone else.

Obtaining V5C Registration Certificates

When you purchase your vehicle, you should get a V5C registration certificate or logbook. If you do not acquire a V5C log book, you will not be able to pay your vehicle tax, and errors could be made in your registration that could be costly. In most cases, this will not be sent to you automatically; you must apply for it by contacting DVLA customer service.

Changes in your personal information are your responsibility, not the responsibility of the DVLA. Therefore, be certain to apply for a V5C log book with the DVLA. You can obtain a V5C log book by calling the DVLA contact number listed here. Agents can help not only with the application process, but can also answer any questions related to your personal situation.

Obtaining Current Information about Road Tax Payments

The rules about road tax payments and the use of tax discs have changed. For the current rules, contact DVLA customer services directly. If you are a lorry driver, you will want to apply for a digital tachograph driver smart card. This is required by law for your profession. Sellers of vehicles should also call the DVLA telephone number promptly. If you delay in contacting them as soon as you sell your vehicle, you will be responsible for any payments required on your vehicle until you do, even though the vehicle is now in the hands of a new owner. When you contact the DVLA to let them know of your sale, be prepared to give them full details about the vehicle.

Every vehicle has a specific tax rate. If you do not know what your tax rate is, you can find this out by calling DVLA or calculating it using the information on their website. If your car is properly registered, you will be able to calculate the tax rate based on whether it was registered before or after March 1st, 2001. The engine size will determine the tax rate before this date; the CO2 emissions and fuel type will determine the tax rate for those registered after this date.

For the use of some vehicles, the payment of taxes is waived. These are:

  • Vehicles made prior to January 1, 1976
  • Vehicles driven by or used for a disabled person
  • Powered wheelchairs and disability scooters
  • Electric or steam-powered vehicles
  • Mowing machines and industrial tractors

When and How to File a SORN Certificate

A stationery vehicle that is not currently being driven must still be registered with the DVLA, by applying for a SORN, or Statutory Off-Road Notification. A vehicle is considered to be off road when it is being stored on private property or in a garage, instead of being actively driven. You can request a form by phone or apply online. If you have stopped driving your vehicle for any reason, you should initiate DVLA contact as soon as possible, so that you will not have to pay taxes for the time your vehicle is not being used. You will also be required to file this form if your vehicle is not currently being taxed or insured, or you intend to break it down for parts.

As soon as you have filed a SORN certificate, DVLA customer service will refund any taxes you have paid on the vehicle that are remaining and unused. The SORN on your vehicle will remain in effect without expiration until you sell or scrap your car, or export it outside the UK. SORN removal occurs automatically under any of these conditions. The SORN is only effective within the boundaries of the UK. Once you have filed a SORN, it is unlawful to drive the vehicle on public roads for any reason, except for transportation to and from a pre-arranged annual MOT safety testing appointment on your vehicle. Violations of this law can result in severe penalties and fines.

Making Advance Tax Payments

You can pay your vehicle tax in advance if you expect to be out of town when the payment comes due. In order to pay in advance, first call the DVLA contact number to apply. Then you will be required to send several documents to the DVLA mailing address in Swansea, SA99 1DZ, enclosed with a personal letter explaining why you need to pay in advance. These documents include:

  • Vehicle log book
  • Application to pay vehicle tax (V10 or V85)
  • Completed vehicle testing certificate (MOT or GVT)
  • Personal cheque, bank draft or postal order

You can also deal with your vehicle taxes at the time they are due from a remote location by paying them online. Payment can be made beginning on the fifth day of the month during the month that the payment is due. Once you have applied for this service, you will only need to have your log book and vehicle registration number handy in order to pay. Call the DVLA phone number for any questions regarding setting up an online account for payment.

Getting an Impounded Vehicle Released

If you neglect to pay your vehicle taxes for any reason, your vehicle can be impounded or clamped. This can happen even if you notify the DVLA that your vehicle is being stored off road, or if it is not located on a public road. If you arrive at your vehicle and notice it has been clamped, there will be an INF32 leaflet attached to the windshield by the agency. The back of the leaflet will contain a contact list as well as a DVLA phone number for you to call.

The agency may also choose to remove your vehicle. If that is the case, call them to find out the location where it has been taken to be impounded. Before you can recover your car or have the clamps removed, you will be required to pay a release fee. You can do this by phone, online or at the specific car pound where it is being held. You will be asked to show them your receipt to prove your payment of the release fee before they will allow you to remove your car.



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *